ONE QUESTION I HEAR A LOT IS, “WHAT THE HECK IS A HEALTH COACH?"
Simply put, a health coach is a wellness mentor who partners with individuals to make more positive choices for their lives.
Health coaches are skilled, credentialed members of the allied health field who are usually trained in behavior change therapies, nutrition, exercise modes, stress management and patient advocacy. An Integrative Health Coach views body, mind and spirit as an interconnected whole, and works with the client accordingly.
Health Coaching is suitable for anyone who is ready to attain a higher level of well-being, whether that means triumphing over a health challenge, reaching a significant health- or fitness-related achievement, or learning how to bring more balance into one’s life. As a Health Coach, I guide and empower you toward better well-being overall, and support you in making lasting, meaningful changes.
I work with:
- Individuals who are looking to improve their health following an illness, or while managing a chronic health condition such as metabolic syndrome or an autoimmune disorder;
- People who are on a weight loss journey and are seeking a health mentor who can help them in making more informed decisions about exercise, nutrition and other health behaviors;
- Women who are ready to invite more mindfulness and vibrancy into their lives while establishing boundaries, learning how to say "NO" to others so they can say "YES" to themselves;
- Those who are working to reach a specific health- or fitness-related goal, such as running a marathon, climbing a mountain or transforming their body.
Behavior Change & Recovery COACHING
WHEN I SET OUT TO WRITE THE CONTENT FOR THIS WEBSITE, I REALLY HESITATED IN LISTING MY CREDENTIALS ASSOCIATED WITH BEHAVIOR CHANGE & Recovery COACHING BECAUSE OF THE WORD “ADDICTION.”
While some of us in the field clearly see the stigma behind the term, as well as acknowledging that self-sabotaging behaviors fall on a spectrum and may not be an addiction at all, popular perception has a lot of catching up to do! So, even though I am certified as an Addiction Recovery Coach, Substance Abuse Therapist, and SMART Recovery Facilitator, many of my clients do not identify with the labels “alcoholic”, “addiction”, or “recovery”.
As a Behavior Change & Recovery Coach, I serve a very specific type of client because of my deep understanding with the issue and my advocacy efforts around the topic.
I WORK WITH WOMEN WHO ARE SEEKING TO EXPLORE AND CHANGE THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH ALCOHOL, FOOD AND THEIR BODIES.
And, I work with them in an empowering, freeing, and non-judgmental way, which can be quite different from the one-size-fits-all mainstream options available today. Becoming a coach in this area is a true calling for me; my approach is informed not only by my training, but also by my own recovery journey and the continuous frustration I felt with the programs I found available to me at the time.
I use a strengths-based approach that encourages my clients to resolve their ambivalence about their relationship with alcohol or food; explore their values, strengths and motivations; and take action to reach their goals and vision in overcoming behaviors that do not serve them. My coaching approach is grounded in behavior modification therapies, as well as techniques used in various recovery approaches, and supports the development of practical tools to understand and manage urges.
My Behavior Change Coaching clients come from diverse situations & backgrounds, but they all share a common goal- to substantially change their lives by changing their behaviors around alcohol, food or their bodies. Coaching is always tailored to the individual’s aims and preferences.
EXAMPLES OF SCENARIOS THAT ARE SUITABLE FOR Recovery & BEHAVIOR CHANGE COACHING WITH ME ARE:
- A career-oriented individual who recognizes that their drinking is beginning to impact her performance at work or their life at home;
- A woman who consistently says "YES" to everyone else... and "NO" to herself;
- Someone who has put her life on hold because of how she negatively sees herself;
- A stay-at-home mom who would like to reduce or quit drinking, but who has become accustomed to martini play dates and feels intense pressure to drink;
- A yo-yo dieter who struggles with out of control eating behaviors, which end up sabotaging weight loss goals;
- A woman who would just like to explore whether or not a behavior has become a problem with a non-judgmental and supportive coach;
- A person who has recently completed treatment for an alcohol use disorder and would like the additional support of an aftercare coach to stay on track;
- An adolescent or adult who is working on their recovery from an eating disorder, like anorexia or bulimia, and would like the additional support of a coach;
I conduct Health, Recovery & Behavior Change Coaching sessions on-site in Singapore, or via Skype for those who reside outside of Singapore. A minimum commitment of three months is required, which corresponds with the minimum amount of time a behavior must be implemented before it becomes a permanent change. Sessions can be conducted every week, or twice monthly, depending on your goals and requirements.
Complimentary 30 Minute Consultation
Would you like to set up a complimentary consultation? Do you have questions about packages and pricing?